Farmers, Rabbis, Nutritionists, Chefs, Vegans, Omnivores
The Hazon Food Conference, August 18-21, 2011, UC Davis
The Hazon Food Conference is the only place where farmers and rabbis, nutritionists and chefs, vegans and omnivores come together to explore the dynamic interplay of food, Jewish traditions, and contemporary life.
Don’t miss four days of do-it-yourself food workshops, lectures, discussions, joyful Shabbat celebrations, kids & family programming, and delicious, consciously-prepared food.
2011 Program Highlights:
• Tours of the UC Davis Student Farm, Dairy and Brewery
• Hands-on food workshops: chop, saute and ferment!
• Classes on the 2012 Farm Bill, Writing Recipes, Urban Farming, Intentional Community, Jewish texts and more....
• Programs for kids and families; childcare available
• Dozens of vendors at the Sunday Eco-Fair and Shuk
• Bike rides, pool & fitness center available
Dr. Oran B. Hesterman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO, Fair Food Network
Chef and author of dozens of Jewish cookbooks, including her most recent
"Quiches, Kugels and Couscous: My Search for Jewish Cooking in France"
A generous grant from the Soref Initiative will make it possible for students from Soref Hillels to attend the Food Conference. Access the scholarship application at http://www.hazon.org/go.php?q=/food/conference/2011FC/Soref_Hillel_Scholarship.html.
• Applicants must be enrolled at one of the college campuses that are part of the Small and Mighty: Soref Initiative Serving Campuses with Small Jewish Populations. Search for your school at http://www.hillel.org/HillelApps/JLOC/samsearch.aspx.
• Applicants may not have graduated before August 21, 2011.
Recipients will be expected to:
• Complete a special post-conference evaluation for Soref scholarship recipients
• Write a report, blog post or article about your experience and its impact on your Jewish Journey
• Bring the experience back to your campus by starting an initiative inspired by the Food Conference (for instance, host an Eco-Shabbaton, start a recycling program, etc.)
Grants will be awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. Applications are rolling. Apply today!